CompuServe: The Value Leader in Cyberspace
CompuServe Interactive Services provides complete and comprehensive products and access for Internet online users at home, in the workplace and around the globe. With the launch of CompuServe 7.0 in 2001, CompuServe reached a new milestone by making the gathering of information and exploring the Internet faster, easier and more convenient than ever before for its worldwide membership. Since its acquisition by AOL in 1998, CompuServe has continued to enhance its core service to meet the needs of one of the fastest-growing segments of the Internet: value-driven adults going online for the first time.
An Internet Pioneer
Founded in 1969 as a computer time-sharing service, Columbus, Ohio-based CompuServe drove the initial emergence of the online service industry. In 1979, CompuServe became the first service to offer electronic mail capabilities and technical support to personal computer users. CompuServe broke new ground again in 1980 as the first online service to offer real-time chat online with its CB Simulator. By 1982, the company had formed its Network Services Division to provide wide-area networking capabilities to corporate clients.
CompuServe also led the interactive services industry overseas, entering the international arena in Japan in 1986 with Fujitsu and Nisso Iwai, developing a Japanese-language version of CompuServe called NIFTYSERVE. In 1989, the company expanded into Europe where it grew to be a leading Internet service provider.
A Key Brand
Since February 1998, CompuServe has been a wholly owned subsidiary of America Online, Inc. As part of the AOL Web Properties group, CompuServe plays an important role by providing Internet connectivity for value-minded consumers seeking both a dependable connection to the Internet and all the features and power of an online service.
The newest version of CompuServe, CompuServe 7.0, delivers a new-look homepage, better ways to organize e-mail, updated Channels, an improved toolbar, better search, a new media player, and easier access to a customized Web page. Each enhancement is designed to make members' online and Internet experiences more relevant and convenient than ever before. Other key features of CompuServe 7.0 include:
- A new Main Menu with rotating feature blocks that bring the best of CompuServe and Internet content to members' fingertips;
- Broad integration of exclusive Time Warner content from great brands such as CNN, CNNSI, People, Fortune, InStyle, Entertainment Weekly, and more;
- Updated CompuServe Channels and Toolbar offering members broader features, better functionality, and easier navigation around the service and the Internet;
- E-mail and buddy list enhancements that offer members more convenient ways to organize personal information and contacts;
- An improved search function that allows members to find what they're looking for faster and more effectively;
- An all-new My Custom Page that provides greater convenience by allowing members to access and manage their personal information (weather, horoscopes, portfolios, sports teams, news, and more) from any computer;
- Support for the latest Windows operating system, Windows XP, for greater compatibility, an;
- An improved CompuServe Radio and a new media player (with CD playback) that make spending time online more fun and entertaining;