NEW YORK (Reuters) - A massive heat wave that has enveloped the U.S. Midwest pushed into the Northeast on Friday, ushering in temperatures that could top 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees C) in Washington and prompting utilities to take steps to prevent power outages.
- CDC links two deaths to multi-state salmonella outbreak
- Democratic lawmakers slam Trump's latest border initiatives
- About 3,100 federal inmates to be released early under new U.S. law
- Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' begins life term in Colorado 'Supermax' prison
- NSA contractor sentenced to prison for huge theft of classified U.S. data
- In battleground Florida, Republicans shrug off Trump's tweet 'kerfuffle'
- U.S. prosecutors charge New York man with being Islamic State sniper
- Lockheed awarded $1.48 billion Saudi missile defense contract: Pentagon
More News »
DUBAI/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iran said it had seized a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz on Friday but denied Washington's assertion that the U.S. Navy had downed an Iranian drone nearby this week, as tensions in the Gulf region grew again.
- Britain says Iran seizes two oil tankers in Gulf, Iran says captured one
- Saudi king approves hosting U.S. troops to enhance regional security: SPA
- Exclusive: Ex-Russian arms tycoon quietly wields influence in British PM race
- EU plans to offer Boris Johnson no-deal Brexit extension: The Guardian
- Suspected Japanese arsonist is ex-convict who believed studio stole his novel: media
- Russia's Putin says he 'sympathized' with Trump before U.S. election
- U.S. judge orders Peru ex-president Toledo held in jail as extradition sought
- Ahead of U.S. deadline, Mexico minister has fulfilled migration enforcement pledge
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow will host a meeting with semiconductor and software executives on Monday to discuss the U.S. ban on sales to China's Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, two sources briefed on the meeting said on Friday.
- Equifax nears deal to pay about $700 million to settle U.S. data breach probes: WSJ
- Four Republican lawmakers ask Trump to move forward with $10 billion Pentagon cloud contract
- Trump: U.S. had 'very good talk' with China; in-person talks may follow
- As U.S. 'superstar' cities thrive, weaker ones get left behind
- American Airlines-Qantas joint venture wins final U.S. approval
- BlackRock profit misses estimates, hit by lower fees for lending stocks
- Wall Street falls as Fed signals smaller rate cut
- Exclusive: J.C. Penney taps debt restructuring advisers - sources
More Business »
STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Swedish prosecutors on Friday extended American rapper A$AP Rocky's detention by six days amid their ongoing investigation into a street fight in Stockholm as U.S. President Donald Trump said he planned to call Sweden's prime minister about the case.
- New 'Cats' movie trailer brings out the claws
- Tom Cruise delights fans with first look at 'Top Gun: Maverick'
- Netflix sinks on subscriber losses, analysts still see growth
- ITV, BBC to offer BritBox at 6 pounds per month in UK
- Massachusetts prosecutors drop Kevin Spacey sex assault case
- 'Game of Thrones' dominates and 'kick-ass' women break through at Emmys
- Pop culture hit 'Gossip Girl' gets a makeover for HBO Max
- 'Wonderful Life' stage adaptation gets a little help from Paul McCartney
More Pop Culture »
PORTRUSH, Northern Ireland (Reuters) - Ireland's Shane Lowry proved master of the Dunluce links for the second successive day to move into a share of the halfway lead with American J.B. Holmes at the British Open on Friday.
- Alaphilippe is Tour favorite, says Thomas
- 'Professor' Pacquiao vows to teach Thurman a lesson
- Angels designate Harvey for assignment
- Broncosâ Fangio says Lock âdoesnât know how to pitch yet
- Yankees' Boone suspended 1 game for umpire rant
- WTA roundup: Rybakina advances to Bucharest semifinals
- Win or lose, Peaty stands to gain at world championships
- Raiders' stadium cost in Vegas soars to $1.9 billion
More Sports »